Friday 27 November 2009

Preparing for Surgery

Just to let everyone know that my surgery consultation on Wednesday went better than expected. Judging by the MRI and CT scans my cochleas are in good shape with very little ossification (bony growth - often happens as a result of meningitis and would have meant a complicated surgery - so it's a VERY good job that this is not the case!)

I have decided to be implanted in my profoundly deaf right ear - the one which has benefitted from a hearing aid for the best part of 20 years. The main reason for this is because the hearing nerve will already be stimulated and my rehabilitation process will be a LOT quicker than if I went for my fully deaf, unstimulated left ear. There are other, personal reaons too, but I will update about this when I have more time to reflect. (I'm taking a notebook into hospital with me as it's very unlikely I'll get any sleep tonight!)

So... at 4pm this afternoon I will be checking into a private hospital (lucky me!) in Nottingham where I will be all set up for my op at 7am tomorrow morning. Early huh?!... hope the surgeon has had his morning coffee by then :| So if all goes to plan I should be stitched up and home by Sunday afternoon :)

I can't believe that last night will be the last time I hear music as I know it.

3 comments:

  1. U'll hear music in no time. All the best in your operation tomorrow! Do let us know how ya get on.

    Good Luck.

    katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire,
    Think of it being a lot better with the CI and the sound is more rich and it a lot better then a hearing aid.You will enjoy music better then every before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I've just discovered your blog. I am due to have my CI on the 22nd Dec at Selly Oak. I live in Nuneaton.

    I hope the op went well. I look forward to reading your next installment.

    My blog is at www.thedeafone.co.uk

    Good luck

    Bryony Parkes

    ReplyDelete